CHICAGO – May 1 – From Kentucky to Sydney, Chicago to Delhi, and Mexico City to Madrid, Beam Suntory employees teamed up to give back to their communities by cleaning up local waterways, planting trees, promoting environmental conservation and more.
As part of the premium spirits company’s first-annual “Together for Good” initiative, nearly 2,000 employees participated in volunteer activities, representing 54 company locations from 13 countries on four continents.
“Beam Suntory operates with a vision of Growing for Good, and today we’re demonstrating the collective impact we can make,” said Albert Baladi, President and CEO of Beam Suntory, who joined the local team at Beam Suntory’s bottling plant in Frankfort, Kentucky to build a garden.
“I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the fifth anniversary of Beam Suntory and our unique East-West culture than to support our environment and give back to the communities where our people live and work.”
“Together for Good” activities include:
• Chicago: Partnered with the Friends of the Chicago River to improve conditions in local forest preserves through the removal and burning of invasive trees, and promote water quality by removing trash from the shorelines and waterways of branches of the Chicago River, including near Beam Suntory’s global headquarters, which overlooks the junction of the river’s three branches.
• Kentucky: Worked with partners at Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest to collect trash along local waterways in Clermont, which serve the community and as the water source for Jim Beam, the world’s #1-selling bourbon. Built a rain garden and bioswales on the grounds of the company’s bottling facility in Frankfort, and partnered with a local organization to remove trash in downtown Louisville.
• Delhi: Alongside Swechha We for Change Foundation, removed trash from the Kudsia Ghat River.
• Mexico City: Partnered with Rios Limpios in a shoreline and kayaking clean-up, removing trash and other debris from the water.
• Sydney: In partnership with Conservation Volunteers Australia, planted, mulched, collected litter, and removed invasive species along a local creek.
“We look forward to seeing our global day of service impact grow every year, along with our positive impact on the communities surrounding our distilleries, bottling plants and company offices,” Baladi said.
Beam Suntory’s vision of Growing for Good is reflected in its commitments to protect water and the environment, support its communities and promote responsible consumption of alcohol. Beam Suntory has initiated programs at its Kentucky distilleries to ensure a sustainable source of limestone water for bourbon distillation and the community.
In addition to Together for Good, Beam Suntory employees are encouraged to give back in ways most meaningful to them, with two paid volunteer days each year through the Beam Suntory Cares program. Responsible consumption of alcohol is a core principle, reflected in Drink Smart, Beam Suntory’s consumer education platform, support of social aspects organizations around the world, and membership in organizations like the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking.
About Beam Suntory
As a world leader in premium spirits, Beam Suntory inspires human connections. Consumers from all corners of the globe call for the company’s brands, including the iconic Jim Beam and Maker’s Mark bourbon brands, Suntory whisky Kakubin and Courvoisier cognac, as well as world renowned premium brands including Knob Creek, Basil Hayden’s and Legent bourbon; Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki and Toki Japanese whisky; Teacher’s, Laphroaig and Bowmore Scotch whisky; Canadian Club whisky; Hornitos and Sauza tequila; EFFEN, Haku and Pinnacle vodka; Sipsmith and Roku gin; and Midori liqueur.
Beam Suntory was created in 2014 by combining the world leader in bourbon and the pioneer in Japanese whisky to form a new company with a deep heritage, passion for quality, innovative spirit and vision of Growing for Good. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, Beam Suntory is a subsidiary of Suntory Holdings Limited of Japan. For more information on Beam Suntory, its brands, and its commitment to social responsibility, please visit www.beamsuntory.com and www.drinksmart.com.
© 2019 Beam Suntory, Inc., Merchandise Mart, 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 1600, Chicago, IL 60654