Although alcohol is enjoyed responsibly and in moderation by the vast majority of those legal age adults who choose to drink, some individuals misuse alcohol or consume alcohol under the legal purchase age, which can result in serious consequences.
The misuse of alcohol is incompatible with Beam Suntory’s fundamental business objectives and our values as a member of society. We are committed to partnering with local, national and international stakeholders to find effective and meaningful ways to combat these issues. This Statement of Principles communicates the beliefs that underlie our actions in promoting responsibility and combating alcohol misuse.
• We respect the rights of legal age adults to choose to drink alcohol beverages – or to choose not to drink at all.
• Those who choose to drink alcohol must accept responsibility to do so in moderation and responsibly.
• Alcohol purchase or consumption by people below the legal purchase age is illegal and cannot be condoned or tolerated.
• Moderate alcohol consumption can be compatible with a healthy lifestyle for many adults, but excessive or abusive consumption of alcohol can impact health and wellness.
• We believe that all alcohol beverages in a society should be sold within a framework regulated by the government.
• Each society, based upon its respective cultural and religious traditions, should have laws establishing an age at which its citizens are deemed mature enough to drink alcohol, that consumption under this age is illegal and penalizing those who illegally supply alcohol to underage people, as well as the underage individuals who conspire to illegally consume alcohol beverages.
• Each society should establish and enforce laws regarding driving after alcohol consumption, should impose serious penalties for violations of such laws, and encourage responsible behavior such as the use of designated drivers and public transportation to ensure safe operation of motor vehicles.
• Alcohol producers should market their products responsibly, only to legal age adults as defined in each society and preferably within a publicly stated code of practice.
• Alcohol producers are key stakeholders in the formulation of responsible public policy regarding alcohol, can be part of the solution to addressing problems of alcohol misuse and have a legitimate voice in public debate about alcohol policy.
• Cooperation among all local, national, and international stakeholders is necessary to achieve meaningful reduction of alcohol misuse.
• Alcohol producers have a meaningful role in programs to discourage irresponsible alcohol consumption and to prevent alcohol misuse. Such programs, materials and initiatives developed by alcohol producers – both alone and in partnership with other stakeholders – are beneficial and contribute to the ever-broadening knowledge and evidence base for combating alcohol misuse.
• Alcohol consumption patterns are directly impacted by cultural, social and religious factors. As a result, responsible alcohol policy must take into account each society’s specific cultural, social and/or religious traditions, including local factors that may impact drinking patterns.
• Evidence-based programs that target specific problems and take into account identifiable drinking patterns are the most realistic and effective measures to successfully reduce alcohol abuse and misuse.
At Beam Suntory, we are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles.
Corporate Affairs, U.S.
202-962-0551,Back to drink-smart